Glimpses of the Past
“A Tryst with Destiny”
By miracle of Destiny, the Independence, formation of East Pakisthan and hence partition of Bengal causes of huge Hindu population from the then east business and profession, the Hindus left the then East Pakistan and hailed to India to get Balurghat being a border town, the growth of population rose from five thousand of fifty thousand in the year of independence. As a result along with manifold economic problems, education figured most prominently. In over to solve the educational problem of the people, Balurghat College was started on 8thSeptember 1948, as an intermediate liable arts college, with 96 students in the tin-sheds of the Balurghat high school under the Kolkata University on the initiative of the large hearted educationists of the town who took regular classes in the afternoon. In 1949, the college was shifted to the present site in the vacant muslin hostel of Balurghat high school along with its land that was purchased by the college at a cost of Rupees forty thousand only. The college gained immense popularity and the numbers of students steadily began to increase. In 1950, the college was recognized by the UGC, and it is supported by he West Bengal government as an aided college. In 1950, intermediate Science classes, in 1953, B.A (Pass), in 1956, B. Sc (Pass), in 1964, evening B.Com and in 1972 evening part time B. Ed classes were opened in succession. Latter on B. Com evening due to Govt. decision. North Bengal University accepted the college as a constituent the college in the September 2003. Presently the college is affiliated under the Under the University of Gour Banga from the academic year 2008-2009.
Balurghat College, West Bengal, envisions a life-oriented education that empowers the students through a humanizing and liberating process, to be agents of transformation and development at different levels of life. Enabled and empowered, they respond pro-actively to concerns and conflicts inherent in today’s reality, especially those of women and persons who are unable to exercise their freedom to be human, and work for the integrity of creation
- To promote a value based education.
- To contributed to the transformation of society through being socially conscious and responsible.
- To promote inter-cultural and inter-religious harmony and concern for the human family.
- To facilitate leadership among the students enabling them to proactively involve themselves in social liberation.
- To provide quality, integral, vocational and career oriented education and create a climate for human and educational excellence.
- To work towards the integrity of creation and foster inter connectedness, kinship and eco-justice.